M41, Saturn and Jupiter taken on 14 Mar 2004

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

M41, Saturn and Jupiter taken on 14 Mar 2004

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I have taken the following images on 14 Mar 2004... the first clear night after days of raining day:

1) M41 - http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=95
2) Saturn - http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=94
3) Jupiter - http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=93

By the way, the jupiter image seem to capture some features that I was not familiar with. Did you spot the three "spike" that on the "right" band?? Did those who have a larger scope see this features before... I never see this feature on any of my previous Jupiter image.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by weixing on Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Wow, nice images.

What camera settings did you use to capture M41 ?
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Weixing
Nice Pics.
I don't see the 3 spikes you mentioned but then again...I never see the small details people mentioned at all! Ask CC! :lol:
Saturn looks great. Perhaps you may want to rotate the picture so that it has a more pleasant orientation?
Also, can you please include one sample of your raw photo for all your efforts so we can do a comparison between stacked and unstacked?
Thanks!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
No space in the image to put the information. The below are the details:

Object: M41 (14 Mar 2004 14:29 UTC)
Telescope: Sky-Watcher 150 F5 Newtonian
Eyepiece: Eyepiece Projection Using William Optics 4337 40mm (19x)
Camera: Nikon CoolPix 4500 (2x Optical Zoom)
Remark: Single Images With Dark Frame Substraction

Camera Setting:
SHUTTER : 30.80sec
APERTURE : F3.8
EXP +/- : 0.0
FOCAL LENGTH : f19.7mm(X1.0)
IMG ADJUST : STANDARD
SENSITIVITY : ISO400
WHITEBAL : SUNNY
SHARPNESS : OFF
SATURATION : 0

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
OK. The below are the single image of Saturn and Jupiter. The M41 was already a single image(30 seconds exposure).

1) Saturn - http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=89
2) Jupiter - http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=90

The below is the jupiter image that I perform more sharpening to make the three "spike" more obvious and also mark out the area:
http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=91

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
lsy_98

Post by lsy_98 »

Hi Wei Xing,
I hope this is an error typing. Yours Jupiter object is taken on 21 Mar 2004? Don't tell us that you have a time mechine. hahaha...... :lol: :lol:
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Oops... It a text "Cut and Paste" error... :oops:

Anyway, "text" updated and move the images to the main Album.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
rlow

Post by rlow »

By the way, the jupiter image seem to capture some features that I was not familiar with. Did you spot the three "spike" that on the "right" band?? Did those who have a larger scope see this features before... I never see this feature on any of my previous Jupiter image.
hi Weixing

I briefly observed those 'spike' Jovian features on Sam's scope during one particular moment of excellent seeing on 14 Mar 2004 at around 11pm. I did mentioned to those around that the details were distinct then. I remembered the scope was used with a TV Radian 10mm and TV 2x barlow then.

regards
rlow
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Yes, I saw it too at around 12am when you guys had left. I knew that I saw something in between the bands but there was't anyone else left to confirm with. Zong Yao : Remember that feature in between the bands I was trying to point out to you ?

Weixing : If you stack more images, would the contrast on that feature be better ?
Samuel Ng
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think to improve the contrast of that feature, I need to really push all the wavelet setting to maximum... and that will make the whole image very "unreal". Anyway, the feature will be better if you "zoom out".

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing