Noob wants to get a scope

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
AccessDenied

Noob wants to get a scope

Post by AccessDenied »

Hi folks, decided to get into astronomy :P

Need some good advice.

Should I just get a cheap beginner scope first or go straight to a better one like the Nexstar 8SE use it for many years to come and thus save costs$?

Seems like the Nexstar would be a good buy for a beginner since it has all the auto-alignment/GOTO and computerized features? 'Cos I might not have any idea where to point the thing too :)

And the GPS module I suppose helps a lot too by locating your cords
and based on the time/date this helps with the alignment?
Can't we just input in our location manually? Is this module a necessity?

What about CCD cams for this thing?

If I decide to get the Nexstar 8SE, what are the best purchasing options?
So I know of this:

a) Astro: offered crazy price of $3,600 - $4,000
b) astrobargains: $2,900
c) Direct from Celestron+Vpost+GST: $2,200?
d) Optcorp+UPS Worlwide Expedited+GST: $2,380
e) Optics Planet+USPS International Priority Mail+GST: $2,200

What do you guys advice?
Thanks
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

In the first place, have you seen a Nexstar 8SE in person before?
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Get a bino...
AccessDenied

Post by AccessDenied »

VinSnr wrote:In the first place, have you seen a Nexstar 8SE in person before?
No man, I haven't seen an actual one before.
What's wrong with it?
LOL
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

AccessDenied wrote:
VinSnr wrote:In the first place, have you seen a Nexstar 8SE in person before?
No man, I haven't seen an actual one before.
What's wrong with it?
LOL
If you have never seen one or use one before, why are you considering this scope?

Are you aware of its physical size, setup, collimation, etc?
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

The Nexstar 8SE is a good starter scope. Well built, sufficient aperture and though a bit bulky, is considered quite portable for the aperture. But of course, its best to see one and see through one in person before committing. IMO no need to start off with a bino or small scope first unless budget is an issue or you are really unsure whether you will stay on in this hobby. Note that the things one can see in Sg can be limited due to our light polluted skies.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Actually, just start off by joining the regular ob sessions! It's free. Better still if you have a car, just offer to bring someone with a scope and you'll get free views while he/she gets free ride :lol:

The most important thing is to get a feel of how different scopes work. A 8SE may be a good scope, but if you're lazy and say "too heavy" and you'll end up not using it too..
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: Noob wants to get a scope

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! [smilie=hi.gif]

Scope look small on paper and seem small in our mind... how big can a 8" scope be when you look at your A4 size paper which had a width slightly longer than 8". But remember, the 8" mean the diameter of the primary mirror of the scope and not the diameter of the scope. The diameter of the scope is usually larger... 9" or 10". Then you add the length of the scope, the weight, the mount and etc... So, it's best that you take a look at the actually scope and setup before you decide... Astro Scientific is a good place to look at scope. If they don't have a 8SE, look at their other Celestron 8" SCT setup... all Celestron 8" SCT OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) had basically the same physical dimension.
AccessDenied wrote:Hi folks, decided to get into astronomy :P

Need some good advice.

Should I just get a cheap beginner scope first or go straight to a better one like the Nexstar 8SE use it for many years to come and thus save costs$?

Seems like the Nexstar would be a good buy for a beginner since it has all the auto-alignment/GOTO and computerized features? 'Cos I might not have any idea where to point the thing too :)

And the GPS module I suppose helps a lot too by locating your cords
and based on the time/date this helps with the alignment?
Can't we just input in our location manually? Is this module a necessity?
GPS is not a must as you can just key in your coordinate manually and basically you can use the same Singapore coordinate anywhere in Singapore as Singapore is not that big to make a real different.
AccessDenied wrote: What about CCD cams for this thing?
Are you going to do visual or imaging?? If mainly doing visual or may be some lunar and planetary imaging, this is a good setup and will last you for many years to come. But if you plan to shoot deep sky object, this setup is not suitable... you need an EQ mount and something shorter focal length especially you are a beginner in imaging.
AccessDenied wrote: If I decide to get the Nexstar 8SE, what are the best purchasing options?
So I know of this:

a) Astro: offered crazy price of $3,600 - $4,000
b) astrobargains: $2,900
c) Direct from Celestron+Vpost+GST: $2,200?
d) Optcorp+UPS Worlwide Expedited+GST: $2,380
e) Optics Planet+USPS International Priority Mail+GST: $2,200

What do you guys advice?
Thanks
Most company don't ship Celestron product directly to customer in Singapore as Astro Scientific is Celestron official dealer/distributor in Singapore. They might ship if you use VPost, but you take all the risk. Also, there'll be no local warranty which mean you can't send to Astro Scientific and expect them to service the scope for free even if under warranty or you had to send the scope to Celestron yourself for servicing. Same with Astro Bargains, but at least you don't need to worry about shipping.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to get a computerized scope without local warranty... So it's all up to you.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

If you have the dough and the means to move it, the N8SE is a good starter scope. I have the the older N8 which is physically similar to the N8SE.
You can see one at Astroscientific.
Unfortunately in astronomy, smaller is compact but larger gives better performance. 8" is the minimum aperture for decent obs.
of course majority will point you towards a Newtonian which gives more bang for buck but if you have problem joining an obs group or want the flexibility to go anytime when others are not free, the goto is a boon.
I am hopeless at star hopping but the goto gives me the flexibility to look at objects by locating and object on the controller.

But before you invest in it, its good to at least join for one obs or so to gauge the requirements and performance and see what suits you first.

cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,AccessDenied
It all depends on what you are interested in and no scope can cater for everything.
For solar obs you will need a refractor so that in time you can upgrade to Ha obs of the sun.
If your intention is to look at the stars a C8 may be a good choice but it all depends on where you live.If you live in a flat then its will take several journey to go downstairs to set up your obs gadget.Moreover power ss is a problem and if every obs session cost you 8 lithium AA battery it can be quite expensive.;and who will look after your staff when you are away bringing further staff for the setup?
Thus I suggest you join some of those obs session first,then decide whats best suit your needs before spending those thousands.You are always welcome to watch the sky but chose the most feasible means to do it.
By the way,do look at the buy and sell session and there are some pretty good stuff for sale that you need and if you buy from them they can also teach you how to use it; and many are good quality stuff-like the vixen 115mm ed;R200ss,C8,etc.Hope you enjoy the hobby.Thanks