Finally there is a moon for me to take some astrophotograph

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

haha.. i got a scopetronix from samuel.. n i can take wonderful mooN.. aAa.. just moOn onLy.. =P
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

Bergkamp_ wrote:haha.. i got a scopetronix from samuel.. n i can take wonderful mooN.. aAa.. just moOn onLy.. =P
Congratulation!! Hope to see your pictures of the moon very soon.. :D

btw, how come is only the moon?
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Leslie,
Nice moon pics! Hope you don't mind, if I have done a little digital tweaking on the contrast and some mild sharpening. Probably a personal liking, but the moon looks esthetically more appealing if it is grayscaled. You might want to take more care with achieving a good focus the next round as well!

http://www.star-matrix.com/lesliemoon.jpg

Cheers,
rcj
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

rcj wrote:Hi Leslie,
Nice moon pics! Hope you don't mind, if I have done a little digital tweaking on the contrast and some mild sharpening. Probably a personal liking, but the moon looks esthetically more appealing if it is grayscaled. You might want to take more care with achieving a good focus the next round as well!

http://www.star-matrix.com/lesliemoon.jpg

Cheers,
rcj
Hi rcj
your editing skill is fantastic.. it looks so much more better now.. wat did u use to do the edit??? i wanna learn some of it.. is that possible?? :)
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
IceAngel

Moon again on 07/04/04

Post by IceAngel »

Hello ppl.. I have another set of Moon pictures taken on my second try, 07/04/04..

Please feel free to give comments on it..

[align=center]Image
Image[/align]
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Leslie,
Sure thing. Will be bringing my laptop up Mersing during the May trip, and will show you the procedure. The processing is simple and done in PS7.0. Basically, the aim here is to make sure the highlights (brightest areas on the moon) are not washed out, and at the same time, the darkest areas are not completely black. Contrast is selectively stretched to utilize the entire dynamic range. Initially, i think your exposure is lesser than what it should be, so most of the information predominantly exists in the lower pixel values (of the entire 0 - 255 range). So the histogram is adjusted to "stretch" the pixel values more towards 255. And again, for esthetic purposes (and perhaps nullify CA), it is gray scaled by changing the mode of display in PS. How about imaging different portions of the moon and do a mosaic? It may be tedious, but will be more rewarding and fun too!
rcj
mouse

Post by mouse »

they seem to be well taken! they reflected to me as if they were from some books... ha haha.. so are they from a book? (just kidding)... the moon in those pics looked the same to what i observed with my eyes... of cos your pics are clearer! (i can see that it was not a full moon... am i right?) hey.. if you dont mind can you describe how you took those pictures? thanx...
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

mouse wrote: (i can see that it was not a full moon... am i right?) hey.. if you dont mind can you describe how you took those pictures? thanx...
lolz.. Thanks..
correct.. it was not a full moon..
how i took those pictures?? hehe.. i am currently using my Casio Z4 which is 4 mega pixel with 3 optical zoom.. sad to say that this camera doesnt not have a threading ring or an additional one.. so i cant buy those proper T-ring and have to make my own camera adaptor..

i just use some aluminium plate and clamp it to my eyepiece.. and rest my camera on the aluminium plate.. and aim my camera lens towards the eyepiece.. is really a very ugly adaptor.. :oops: :oops:
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
mouse

Post by mouse »

ha haha... really? if i have the chance i think i should take a look at your "leslie brand camera" haha ha... oh i see... next time i'll try to take my own pictures of the moon! ;) and i'll try to take from the 2nd day of the lunar month till the last day... it would be great i think.. ha ha... (maybe not) i dont know how one would say a good pic of moon is but somehow i feel that your pics is very scientific to me. ha haha.. you can see that not the whole of the moon was reflected by the light of sun on that day... part of the moon was seen less reflected by the sunlight.
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

actually that camera adaptor is DIY, not the camera.. hehe.. i havent reach the standard of making my own camera.. hehe :P :P
:oops:
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-