Siebert Optics Eyepieces

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Siebert Optics Eyepieces

Post by acc »

Thought I will just drop a line here to inform members about this little-known brand of 'home-made' eyepieces... I own one of these budget line of eps, and have looked through a couple others before. IMHO, they offer a good mix of price, performance, field-of-view (usually 70deg), and eye-relief. For short focal length eps, I definitely prefer these over plossols, which have very limited eye-relief and have tiny pin-hole lens.

I have a 19mm which offers 70deg fov and 20mm eye relief. Sharp and contrasty but perhaps a notch below the Pentax 21mm XL. But its much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the Pentax too.

Check them out at www.siebertoptics.com

Usual disclaimer, I am not connected to them in any way... :)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

acc wrote:Thought I will just drop a line here to inform members about this little-known brand of 'home-made' eyepieces... I own one of these budget line of eps, and have looked through a couple others before. IMHO, they offer a good mix of price, performance, field-of-view (usually 70deg), and eye-relief. For short focal length eps, I definitely prefer these over plossols, which have very limited eye-relief and have tiny pin-hole lens.

I have a 19mm which offers 70deg fov and 20mm eye relief. Sharp and contrasty but perhaps a notch below the Pentax 21mm XL. But its much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the Pentax too.

Check them out at www.siebertoptics.com

Usual disclaimer, I am not connected to them in any way... :)
I have the 2" 13mm Ultra Series. FOV is about 70 degrees. I find that the light throughput is pretty good, just that cosmetically it doesn't look very attractive. But it does have a chrome barrel...far better than his earlier lines that looked really home-made.

Pretty sharp to about the last 10 degrees or so. Overall, very good for the money! No wonder you don't see these Ultra Series coming out in astromart very much.