Focuser Mod for Skywatcher Mak 127?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Gary

Focuser Mod for Skywatcher Mak 127?

Post by Gary »

Trying to mod my skywatcher 127 focuser as shown in the following photo. Where to buy this pipe wrap in Singapore? What is the exact size that I should buy? (cant see the specs clearly in the pic)

Source: forum.skyatnightmagazine.com
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hey Gary! You trying to increase the focuser knob diameter to be larger?

Those pipe wraps are kinda what you find with pipe insulation. Prob is, in SG, these are industrial type stuff and hard to get, unless your a contractor.

Notice your skywatcher focus knob has a lock nut that holds the knob to the focus shaft. Could you get a measurement of that shaft's diameter? If all you need is to increase the knob size (which feels better) I can pop over to my office next door and grab a Larger diameter knob for hydraulic manifolds, come monday. They have a large grip diameter and lock nut. The length may not be as long as what you have now, but the larger diameter feels nice and with a lower profile knob, sticks out less. Lemme know ya! Oh yah,....no cost even! These knobs are aplenty for replacing manifolds.

FYI: I did a similar, increase the focus knob diameter mod with my past C130 mak! Low profile, nice focusing feel!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks! Will try to find the diameter.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hey Gary,...

Knob looks a little like this in shape with a locking grub screw at the side to lock onto the focus shaft of the scope. (Just the knob at the top...not the whole assembly...haha). May be a little wider and slightly lower in profile. FYI anyway. Will grab one and we can give it a go.

Just need to determine if your scopes knob can be removed easily. Unlike my C130, it was DEADLY GLUED!!!

Gary

Post by Gary »

Bro, tried removing the focuser knob. No joy. :) Seems like glued to it. Btw, there's a "8" printed on the top of the focuser. Any idea what it represents?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Sob sob!! No lock nut??....bugger! Hope it's not like my old C130 with the stick em all made in china glue!! Well I have the knob which you can have. It feels little heavier and stiffer if you wish, you can be like me and wreck the old one!!! muahahaahah! When we meet up I can pass u the knob!

"8"??....no idea. Mould signature???
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

How to remove that knob? I'm thinking of replacing it with a pulley or gear... does it just pull off? no set-screw?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

'Infinity' could have guessed!! Good one Stuart!
I know some are stuck on with Glue, some no glue but firmly in place. Higher end scopes have lock nuts. Sheesh why can't they all be the same...!

Gary,...you could try some extra force,..see if it budges? If not then it's stuck..lol!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Just found out... it's just a rubber plug that's friction-fitted onto the shaft. I was able to pull it off quite easily... now to find an appropriate gear.

It turns out the focuser shaft is a hollow shaft which is quite large-diameter. The regular 6mm pulleys won't work on it.