Hello and opinion on Bino (Grandeye 10x60) for a newbie

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Hello and opinion on Bino (Grandeye 10x60) for a newbie

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello everyone! I'm new to astronomy and generally very lost in the sky! Can identify the moon though (hee hee!)
Was originally thinking of buying a telescope but realised the prices are astronomical, so thinking of getting a reasonable, portable bino for now.
Thinking of a Grandeye 10x60 BAK-4 Porro Full Multi-coat. HKD 460 (SGD 80+)
Anyone has experience with this bino or any suggestions? Looking for under SDG 150 (less is better, but not a junk bino), portable, able to hold up without tripod and aperture 50mm or more, power max 10
Thanks for the advice!

Also managed to pull out a 20+ year old Raydawn 80mm refractor, lenses chipped and fungused, eyepiece must hold in both hands when focusing or it will unscrew itself into 3 peices, but still usable. Saw Venus (1st star in the evening, right? ) in gibbous phase for 1st time in my life few nights back, now waiting for good old luna to show its face in our skies again! :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Welcome to the gang of cloud/ star gazers...

60mm for SGD $80 plus is pretty reasonable good. Just that you would like to lower the power a bit to 7x60 or 8x60. Else very hard to keep objects steady and will have a smaller field of view.

For identifying objects, check out this software: www.stellarium.org

All the Best!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Cloud Cover. Welcome to Singastro! Do join us for our observation sessions so you can learn more about astronomy in Singapore. Install the amazing free planetarium Stellarium to familiarise yourself with the skies while hunting for your bino. Borrow and read the book Star Ware from our public libraries.

Depending on how you manage your expectations of what you want to see and what can be seen through binos/telescopes, their prices may not be astronomical especially if you don't mind getting a second hand telescope. Good luck!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

the Pentax PCF-WP 10x50 i think is under $150 and i would choose it over a Grand-Eye brand (what is that, house brand of the famous HK optical house?)

it is possible to get some telescope bargains here... like the 90mm Meade refractor that Gary snagged the other day for $100. You'd still have to make a mount though.

As for the 80mm refractor... maybe you can let us have a look. I never met a lens fungus that I could not defeat. Even fungus between the two elements of the main lens is fixable so long as the lens is not cemented.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies!
Chris --> Agree. Saw a 9x63 (I'm thinking large aperture) Meade on offer for USD 80 but reviewers noted QC issues resulted in a few RMAs. Pricey since we live at the far end of their shipping chain! Already installed stellarium :)
Gary --> Would love to join observation sessions. Can never make the Fri sessions at SSC due to commitments though.
Orly --> I'll show it (refractor) to you if we meet up :) I think its their house brand - there's no brand on the catalog list.

P.S> Show off a bit: Avatar pic is from personal collection. Unfortunately too blur when blown up cos' have star trails.
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice pic. Please post full photo here for all of us to enjoy.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi cloud cover,

If you are interested in getting the grandeye binos, I think you can consult Clifford as he had purchased a giant bino and normal bino from that shop. If I am not wrong, he is also quite "abang" with the owner, so who knows, you might be able to get some special arrangements or concessions. LOL!!

It is also good that you have choosen to start off with a bino. Many ppl nowadays consider binos redundant and encourage newbies to dive into the realm of telescope, citing that the telescope prices are now very much cheaper that yester-years. But bino gives larger FOV, more comfortable to use/view through and are highly portable. A good investment for those not driving. My most memorable exp with bino, is through Clifford's giant bino at ecp. All the M objs are easily found and the overall feel is really 3 dimensional, like as if one is walking towards the objects.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

I suggest you get a 8x42, 7x50, 10x50. I own a 10x60 before but quite shaky though images are abit much brighter.
bharat

Post by bharat »

I bought a 7x50 made in China from Carrefour for $49. Good enough to spot clusters like M6, M7 and jewel box.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

I guess I will turn up at the MPCC sidewalk event this Sat, if you are there, you can try the 25x100 and 8x42. 10x60 unless you have a very strong hand, you should use 8x42 or 10x50 or even 7x50.

Expensive bino will give you a better flat field, well one mind don't concentrate on the edges, but the center area on the view, so cheap bino in most cases will do. Of course if you have the $, then you can buy the expensive one and don't have to upgrade it soon. I used mine for 3 yrs plus and still happy with them.