First Picture

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
bharat

First Picture

Post by bharat »

This is one of my first attempts at any sort of astrophotography. I am using my Nikon D5000 DSLR. I am attaching 2 pictures, one of the moon and venus and other of scorpio and adjacent constellations. Obviously, I have a lot to learn so I hope to get comments and suggestions for improving my pictures.

1. Moon & venus
Focal Length: 55mm; F num: F/5.6; Exp time: 5/8 sec; ISO 800, basic processing (brightness & contrast) using Office Picture Manager

i. Is there anyway to eliminate or reduce the halo around the moon (in the picture)
ii. Why is it that the camera captures a reflection of the moon (right hand side)?

2. Scorpio and other constellations

Focal length: 18mm, F-num: F/3.5; Exp time 13sec, ISO 640, basic processing with office picture manager
Constellations seen: Scorpio, Wolf (lupus), saggitarius (partial), serpens (partial)

i. I think I can see M7, M6 & NGC6231 as fuzzy patches in the picture. Am I seeing correctly?
ii. Are the camera settings used ok or any changes will make the picture better?
iii. ANy way to make the sjy darker and stars brighther (I mean by processing).

Thanks in advance

Update: Trying again to upload pictures....

Can any one please tell why are the pictures appearing as icons rather than the full??

...Having another go now with Gary's tutorial...let us see

...bingo! It worked!
Last edited by bharat on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:44 am, edited 17 times in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Bharat, your pictures not showing up. Try to upload them to an online photo album and link it here.
bharat

Post by bharat »

Gary wrote:Hi Bharat, your pictures not showing up. Try to upload them to an online photo album and link it here.
Thanks Gary. I understand now. I was trying to break my head over how to get the pictures down to below 65 kb and still make them lookable!
Gary

Post by Gary »

You need to select "All Sizes" in flickr and then copy paste the link.
bharat

Post by bharat »

Gary wrote:You need to select "All Sizes" in flickr and then copy paste the link.
Bingo! Finally got it right. Thanks for your tutorial Gary!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Wow. It's beautiful. Where is the location and what time was it shot?
bharat

Post by bharat »

Gary wrote:Wow. It's beautiful. Where is the location and what time was it shot?
Shot last night around 10pm, location- Singapore, outside my block.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

in the moon photo... there seems to be a ghost moon at the top-right. or am i just seeing things?

photographing the moon without that halo means you have to increase the shutter speed a lot. the moon is in direct sunlight, so the sunny f/16 rule applies. you'd have to use manual mode. but if you use sunny f/16, everything else goes dark.

so an ideal situation would be to take two shots in quick succession (or, overexpose 1 stop but use RAW so you can pull out some shadow detail) and/or do some HDR processing.
bharat

Post by bharat »

orly_andico wrote:in the moon photo... there seems to be a ghost moon at the top-right. or am i just seeing things?

photographing the moon without that halo means you have to increase the shutter speed a lot. the moon is in direct sunlight, so the sunny f/16 rule applies. you'd have to use manual mode. but if you use sunny f/16, everything else goes dark.

so an ideal situation would be to take two shots in quick succession (or, overexpose 1 stop but use RAW so you can pull out some shadow detail) and/or do some HDR processing.
Yes, the ghost moon is there and I have no clue as to why its there. Any possible reason?

I did take the picture in manual with exp time 5/8 sec but my F-stop was F/5.6. I will try with a smaller aperture as you mentioned.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

The stars are really nice :)

The ghost moon is really a secret CIA satellite base...... *grin*
Since its inverted, I'm guessing its either a reflection off your protective daylight/UV fliter or from a internal reflection from one of the lens elements (your nikon lens will invariably be made of a collection of a few pieces of glass lenses inside)
I'm no astrophotographer, but I do use a nikon :)
For good exposure, use "Spot Metering" on the bright part of the moon directly. The Nikon metering is really quite good when used this way. Matrix metering tries to balance both the sky and the moon. Result is a few bright stars in a black sky and a blown out moon. You might want to underexpose from there (use your exposure compensation button and make it negative something) as it may throw up better details. Also, since the Nikon autofocus uses edge contrast, do remember to place your focus point on the edge of the moon surface. Or manual focus :)
I disagree with f/16 though - at that size aperture it might cause diffraction blurring. I think f/8-f/11 generally brings out the best in most nikon zooms. It also allows you to bump up the shutter speed (to prevent movement blur) or reduce the ISO (for better dynamic range and less contrast).
Hope this helps!
DON'T PANIC