Small collection of some solar images (QX)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
aleetk

Re: Solar 2013-11-07

Post by aleetk »

hi lqx!. I love all your solar images. Really cool!
Laurent2604
Favourite scope: singasian

Post by Laurent2604 »

Awesomeee! XD
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

NICE!!!
lqx

Re: Small collection of some solar images (QX)

Post by lqx »

[smilie=beg.gif] Thanks all for your kind encouragements!

Decided to tweak the topic title a lil' as I toss in some other solar stuff!

Had been a while since I had time to properly process some subs!

Was shooting an active group of spots on the sun a week or so ago... [smilie=ahaaah.gif]

When I noticed the plage at the bottom left corner, with a small filament shooting right out towards the edge.... [smilie=evil-smile.gif]

And when I mutilated the curves [smilie=admire.gif] into this warped inversion... I found....

A Filament-Prominence! [smilie=bye2.gif] That small filament had stretched out past the edge and rose as a prominence against the darkness outside!

Solar surface and prominence, 2014-04-02, taken through SF-70 filter, Tak TSA-102, 2.5x Powermate, ASI 120MM webcam.
lqx

Post by lqx »

And... Here's a link to an article in MyPaper on Alfred! (my solar sifu! [smilie=admire2.gif] )

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... eat-galaxy
lqx

Post by lqx »

[smilie=cool.gif] Finally found some time to process some solar images due to overhead clouds in Mersing [smilie=depressed2.gif]

Sun with a nice prominence! 2014-05-15. Taken through Solarscope SF-70, Tak TSA-102, using ASI 120MM webcam.

antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

wow..nice prominence! iooks like a tree
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

lqx. Your solar images never fail to amaze me. So awesome!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Beautiful shot and awesome post processing skills! Your sifu has taught you very well. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
lqx

Post by lqx »

Finally had some time to visit some darker skies up north!

...and the time to process images!

Was up at Port Dickson at the Klana Resort right next to the 24" Observatory for the annual NYP Astronomy retreat! Was great meeting up with friends, and oogling the huge scope...
Unfortunately, skies were pretty much swamped with clouds throughout the nights... all 3 of them, that I ended up watching World Cup instead... [smilie=blocked.gif]

Managed to get some solar work done, here's a mosaic of the full disk:

Taken through a Solarscope SF-70 filter, Tak FSQ-106, using a ZWO ASI-120MM webcam.

Highlight of course... was looking through Alfred's new SF-100 filters! [smilie=embarrassed.gif]

The night skies were only good for visual through thin clouds... and having the full moon illuminating up the skies... I was tempted and threw on my 4x Powermate and tried to mosaic the whole moon...

(Above is a reduced image, full rez can be found here: http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Heisenbe ... 7.jpg.html)
(taken through my Tak FSQ-106, Powermate 4x, ZWO ASI-120MM)

... took about 30+ subs and clouds decided to roll in... hence the incomplete top corner... [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]

(Just a note, was trying to merge those 30+ stacked frames using photoshop's automerge function. Unfortunately due to the high clouds in the way, there were some gradients and brightness differences between frames. Photoshop took >30mins to stack (!) and produced a mosaic with visible edges due to the imperfect subs. I spent hours trying to tweak the curves to get the individual frames to merge seamlessly to each other, but eventually gave up [smilie=hell-yes.gif] . That was when I tried using Microsoft Research's Image Composition Editor (ICE). It's a free program, and it "Magically" merged those frames with each other in a fraction of the time taken by CS6, even dealing with the gradients for me! Might just become my new "go-to" program for merging images!)

Was at Mersing too, about 2 weeks back. Haven't had the time to fully process my "loot" to do them justice, but here's a simple shot of M4 I took:

(Nikon D800E, FSQ-106)