Southern Cross & Coalsack Nebula - Bedok

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
orly_andico

Re: Southern Cross & Coalsack Nebula - Bedok

Post by orly_andico »

Curious Orion, if you have the motor drive you can do some fairly decent astro photos.

Just not with your scope. I am sure you have a camera lens of some sort. Use that. Makes life a lot easier.

Peter, you left our whatsapp group. [smilie=confused.gif] now how can i know when you're having a Bedok session? i would like to join one of these.

How about sometime this week? Moon is still semi favorable (65% illumination and sets at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday)
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Peter, Astronomy no retirement, Mr Au already 70+ of age is still quite active, I just met early last month in a sidewalk event.
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Hi Orly, okay, may be try to join back & think of a way to manage it .. :)
Hi Clifford, thanks for the encouragement, seriously is not easy to let go of it , i think Lton will join us back soon, ha.. ha.. :) , and Mr Au MC was the the one 1st inspired me, (shown me his C8 when i was young) followed by Alberts, shown me Saturn, then i procastinated many years until recent 4 years ago, start to bring out my CG-1 or EQ-2 from the store room .. etc. etc ..
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

PETER LOO wrote:Hi Orly, okay, may be try to join back & think of a way to manage it .. :)
Hi Clifford, thanks for the encouragement, seriously is not easy to let go of it , i think Lton will join us back soon, ha.. ha.. :) , and Mr Au MC was the the one 1st inspired me, (shown me his C8 when i was young) followed by Alberts, shown me Saturn, then i procastinated many years until recent 4 years ago, start to bring out my CG-1 or EQ-2 from the store room .. etc. etc ..
Hmm I dunno... I've never really joined any singastro events just yet.

But I agree with Clifford. Age shouldn't be a barrier to this hobby unless there are other factors. Even if you join back and can't attend some or most of the gatherings, I'm sure no one's gonna say or feel anything negative. If free, can join, join. If not free, then.. not free lor. If nothing else, that's what I've learnt and enjoy about singastro community ;)
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Peter - Good to see the clear skies in Singapore last weekend has not gone to waste. Good job!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Thanks Gary, see you soon :)
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

orly_andico wrote:Curious Orion, if you have the motor drive you can do some fairly decent astro photos.

Just not with your scope. I am sure you have a camera lens of some sort. Use that. Makes life a lot easier.

Peter, you left our whatsapp group. [smilie=confused.gif] now how can i know when you're having a Bedok session? i would like to join one of these.

How about sometime this week? Moon is still semi favorable (65% illumination and sets at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday)

Hi orly_andico! Thank you for the reply. :)
And did I quite hear that right? I could use my motor drive along with my camera? All along these while I was thinking it was only meant for my telescope and I have got no idea how to fix that on my scope anyway. haha. I thought I had to get a seperate tracking device for my DSLR such as ipotron skytracker or vixen polarie to tract objects in the night sky for AP.
I didn't quite know that my motor drive could do that? And if that could be a possibility, I would sure make great use of this. I have a sony SLT a65 with tripod. So how do I fix the motor drive to be working along with my camera?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

you need to mount the camera onto your EQ mount. Remove the telescope, and (somehow) attach your camera with lens.

The motor would then be attached to the EQ mount.

Vixen Polarie, etc. are just more compact EQ mounts with motors.

Example:

Of course I'm using a rather larger EQ mount, but the principle is the same.. attach the camera (and lens) to the EQ mount somehow.
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

orly_andico wrote:you need to mount the camera onto your EQ mount. Remove the telescope, and (somehow) attach your camera with lens.

Example:

Of course I'm using a rather larger EQ mount, but the principle is the same.. attach the camera (and lens) to the EQ mount somehow.

Wow. that makes sense. So i just remove the scope and te bracket and try to fix the camera on top..hmmmm..but do u knw of any sites or maybe u could explain for that matter on how exactly to get my motor fixed on my scope? I was trying all night long yesterday but to no avail. I even watched a youtube video but I am still not getting the part when the metal part sits on the scope.. :(
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

orly_andico wrote:you need to mount the camera onto your EQ mount. Remove the telescope, and (somehow) attach your camera with lens.

Example:

Orly, yours looks like a Frankenstein! :twisted:

but yes Orion, if you can attach your DSLR (instead of your scope) to your EQ mount and have the motorised attachment, then so long as its polar aligned, you should be good for some fun with it!

Oh, the motorised unit goes onto your mount. Not the scope.