Sky 90 can do this?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Astroboy

Sky 90 can do this?

Post by Astroboy »

Hi Guys,

I've just been visiting the Takahashi Yahoo Group forum and saw a couple of images done with a Sky 90.

Thing is the images are so tack on sharp, clear, and quite surprisingly, huge!

Eh.. how do they do it? Would you get the same kinda of images if one used a 8" SCT? I'm just baffled at the performance on this 3.5 incher.

http://www.niteskys.mesanetworks.net/M42_wide.html
http://www.niteskys.mesanetworks.net/ngc2244.html
http://www.niteskys.mesanetworks.net/M33.html

Cheers!

-AB
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

Welcome to the brave new world of ccd and high performance refractor. U will be surprised by the amount of imagers who use 3-6" refractors, and maybe some of the very premium newts and cass from tak and AP.

~MooEy~
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

MooEy wrote:Welcome to the brave new world of ccd and high performance refractor. U will be surprised by the amount of imagers who use 3-6" refractors, and maybe some of the very premium newts and cass from tak and AP.

~MooEy~
But its like WOW! This little baby seems like it could take on the 8 incher hands down. I dun know if I am comparing between tomatoes and potatoes but the optical quality looks great! But I guess the old saying of bigger apperture is better holds true yeah?

-AB
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

But its like WOW! This little baby seems like it could take on the 8 incher hands down. I dun know if I am comparing between tomatoes and potatoes but the optical quality looks great! But I guess the old saying of bigger apperture is better holds true yeah?

-AB
these are photos. When you put in image processing to a digital photo, even Frankenstein can look handsome.

Yes, it is a wonderful scope and it can take good photos, but that's also partly because of Image processing.

If you compare visual with a 8", you would chuck the Tak 90 into the woods, unless of course, you just use it to look at moon, planets, birds and your neighbour.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Even a 60mm apo can produce this photo [after several hours of exposure and heavy image processing]:

but when you look through an eyepiece, this nice image is nothing more than a dim smudge.

For visual, the bigger the better.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yup I agree with you. I had the chance to look through a 12inch dob during a starparty in USA, and the visual image is breathtaking. If you look at those puny telescopes.. u will have problems trying to identify what object is that as it just look like a fuzzy ball. The bigger the aperture, the better the resolving power but of cos the less portable it is.
AstroDuck
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ariefm71 wrote:Even a 60mm apo can produce this photo [after several hours of exposure and heavy image processing]:

but when you look through an eyepiece, this nice image is nothing more than a dim smudge.

For visual, the bigger the better.
good point....think arief gave you a very good example.

The Tak 90 is a wonderful astrophotography scope, but you need to have the right photography equipments, the right sky, the right attitude, and the right image processing skills. But visually it is just another 90mm scope.

So never just look at a photo to determine what a scope can see. Nowadays, with all the fancy CCD and IP software, even small scopes look like Hubble