WTB : Cable release (#MC-EU1) for Nikon Coolpix

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
harlequin2902

WTB : Cable release (#MC-EU1) for Nikon Coolpix

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi all,

Anyone has one to let go at a reasonable price ?

Thanks for looking.
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: WTB : Cable release (#MC-EU1) for Nikon Coolpix

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote:Hi all,

Anyone has one to let go at a reasonable price ?

Thanks for looking.
After Eu Wen's "endorsement", I also tempted to get one for my Nikon 4300 but $160 for the new one is a little of a discourager. I don't know how much the one for your 995 cost but at retail stores, the 4300 model cost $200!!
The problem is all the controls are there. I only needed the shutter release cable but Nikon refused to sell it as they will earn practically nothing since its so cheap....sigh....
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

For the type of photography I'll be doing, the cable release is absolutely essential since most of my subjects are not likely to stay absolutely still for the entire duration of 10s -> Seems like the self timer on the 995 is fixed at 10s ? And it has this irritating bright bluish blinking light that flashes while it's counting down :? .

Until I get the English manual from the ex-owner (who forgot :shock: to include it in the box when she handed the package to me), I currently have to rely on the pictures inside the French and German manuals to learn my way around the camera. But if the self timer can be set to countdown from 3s or something, then perhaps I can save the $ and use it instead to get an urgent replacement for my poor 190D tripod - a whole leg came off due to a completely fractured joint in a freak accident that happened about 10 mins before the TV premiere of Galaxy Quest Ch 5 ...
:(
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote: Until I get the English manual from the ex-owner (who forgot :shock: to include it in the box when she handed the package to me), I currently have to rely on the pictures inside the French and German manuals to learn my way around the camera. But if the self timer can be set to countdown from 3s or something, then perhaps I can save the $ and use it instead to get an urgent replacement for my poor 190D tripod - a whole leg came off due to a completely fractured joint in a freak accident that happened about 10 mins before the TV premiere of Galaxy Quest Ch 5 ...
:(
Hi Sam,

The manual should be able to be downloaded from Nikon's website.
Here is the website. Can't send you the direct link as the web uses dynamic links. Just go to tech support and click "manuals".

http://www.nikon.com.sg/

The 190D may not be very heavy duty but breaking its leg would really take alot of effort. that must have been some freak accident, man...
I guess you are just trying very very hard to find an excuse to buy a new Manfrotto 055 tripod?? :lol:

and yes....I like Galaxy Quest....all those who like Star Trek will definitely like this movie!

rich

:D
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The self-timer can be set to 3 seconds, but not useful if you are using the blub mode:
1. Press the Focus mode button several times until "timer" symbol appears in the Control panel and Monitor.
2. Pressing the Shutter release button once activates a 10-second timer and twice activates a 3-second timer.

By the way, MC-EU1 is design not to be just a simple cable release remote control, you can use it to zoom in or zoom out and some other function. So I don't think it can be replace by a simple release cable.

Anyway, there are some software out there that you can use to emulate the remote control, but you need a suitable cable and a computer running the software.

Hope the information above is useful. :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi,
The self-timer can be set to 3 seconds, but not useful if you are using the blub mode:
1. Press the Focus mode button several times until "timer" symbol appears in the Control panel and Monitor.
2. Pressing the Shutter release button once activates a 10-second timer and twice activates a 3-second timer.

By the way, MC-EU1 is design not to be just a simple cable release remote control, you can use it to zoom in or zoom out and some other function. So I don't think it can be replace by a simple release cable.

Anyway, there are some software out there that you can use to emulate the remote control, but you need a suitable cable and a computer running the software.

Hope the information above is useful.

harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

*** UPDATED 26th November 2003 ***

(#MC-EU1) No longer required, for the time being.
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,

Hope the information above is useful. :)
Hi Weixing
Thanks for the tips but I simply refuse to implement any solution that required me to lug a laptop to an observation site. the max I will go is to use my pocket pc but the solution would have to be elegant and available....none of those "you-make-your-own" cable solutions....
I guess that's why I'm still not into "serious" astrophotography yet.
I look at Matt and get turned off.....not the person but all his accessories attached to his LX90...the hugh wet cell battery, the power inverter, the power adapters, the laptop, etc....! it would have been cheaper if I had just rent a caravn with mobile obervatory built in!
:D