Lunar Eclipse Viewing session (16th/August) at Buangkok

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

i will be looking at it at plc =s got ex on going..
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
letburn

Post by letburn »

hahas . lots of hype for this event huh .

no one in for open field for buangkok ? we have 2 already .
its a pretty good site .
hansgalaxy

Post by hansgalaxy »

letburn wrote:hahas . lots of hype for this event huh .

no one in for open field for buangkok ? we have 2 already .
its a pretty good site .
i wish i could go... but sunday got duty!!! I don wanna kena extra juz because of zzzz during duty lol
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Alright, I'll post a little small brief about how the observation session held over at the Buangkok MRT open field was like:

9pm onwards~ - Zephyrus & letburn arrived, started to stargaze a little, found M6 through letburn's scope, and got bored after a while cause of the "moon pollution".

1am~ - Astron arrived, and his friend a while later. Astron actually cabbed down to the SMU grounds, but everyone from A2008 left, so he cabbed down from SMU area to Buangkok MRT and spent well over $30 on the fare.

2am~ - 3 of letburn's classmates arrived, after a while there were 2 other guys who dropped by after reading our thread about the session. Eclipse's U1 began, no significant change.

3am~ - Saw 2 photographers somewhere across the field, which we went to say hello to, and they also learnt about our gathering in this forum, but they took their photos at the other side of a field. Only joined us at around 5am. Eclipse's U1 started at 3.35am, and the upper part of the moon was getting darker. StayNuts also dropped by, with his equipments to take video/shots of the eclipse, and we had a nice chat with him. He didn't want to go to West M'sia alone, so he joined us after driving to chinese garden (but tungkian didn't set up outdoors) with no one there.

4am~5am - Eclipse slowly proceed and the moon was "eaten up" more and more. And finally at 5.10am or so, the eclipse was at it's greatest, the rest kept taking photos, and I was looking for other stars since the night sky got darker thanks to the eclipse. After which, we took a group photo with the eclipsed moon behind us, will get the photographer to put up the group photo soon.

6am~7am - Everyone left, except the 2 photographers, StayNuts and me. Chatted with StayNuts, and both of us left at about 7am. The 2 other guys stayed back to take some sunrise photos.

Overall: Response was poor, but as the night grew, more and more people joined us, and I was pretty happy with over 10~12 people attending the session. ^_^
letburn

Post by letburn »

hi everyone .

a little late but , these are some pics ive caught on the day of the recent eclipse after recovering my computer .

pics are taken with a humble 4 megapixel 3 years old consumer camera (+ 1 pic taken with my friend's cam), therefore explaining why it isnt as clear as other professional shots .

pics are taken through the Celestron Powerseeker 127mm with a camera clamp .

yet to mention , i am still a amateur astrophotographer .

enjoy :D
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nice shot... :)

IMHO, since compact camera had no moving parts when taking the shot, it's more suitable than DSLR for taking photo of the Moon and planets. Also, it's quite easy to get very nice image of Moon and planets if you do stacking.

Anyway, the weather was not that good on that morning... quite humid, so I think it's common that the image will be a bit soft.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
letburn

Post by letburn »

hahas yeaps .

but the video resolution it churns out is only a 320x240 and of a rather poor quality .

and yeah , weather was clear but very humid at that area .

have a nice day too .
boothee

Post by boothee »

letburn wrote:

enjoy :D
Hello,

Greetings from Yangon!

Thanks for sharing . . .

Nice set of pictures. I like the above 2 picture most! Beautiful.

Cheers!

:)
boothee
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Camera, Canon 300D + Kit Lens, Yangon, Myanmar.
letburn

Post by letburn »

sorry for the late reply .

thanks boothe :D

cheers too !