New image, Pleiades

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
tanguan2001

New image, Pleiades

Post by tanguan2001 »

Hi all,

Another image from the night of 5th Oct, just processed. The Pleiades, showing some nebulosity, but not very much. Quite pleased with the colour balance the camera is giving together with the LPR filter (which tends to be blue-green to the eye).

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan/pleiades.jpg

or homepage:
http://www.angelfire.com/space2/tgtan

TG
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nice image.... :shock: But I wonder what cause the "spike" in the image and the upper part of the image seem not affected... hmm??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Nice image.... :shock: But I wonder what cause the "spike" in the image and the upper part of the image seem not affected... hmm??

Have a nice day.
Good question. This was an SCT, so no spider to cause the spikes. All I can think of is some imperfection in the mirror, or dust specks that caused the diffraction.
I like the spikes, so am thinking of putting a couple of pieces of thread at right angles across the aperture to make them.

TG
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

tanguan2001 wrote:
weixing wrote:Hi,

Have a nice day.
Good question. This was an SCT, so no spider to cause the spikes. All I can think of is some imperfection in the mirror, or dust specks that caused the diffraction.
I like the spikes, so am thinking of putting a couple of pieces of thread at right angles across the aperture to make them.

TG
That's funny. No offence meant, but there are people who go great lengths to reduce the spikes by using piano wires, curved spiders, optical windows etc but you are trying to create them for aesthetic reasons. :D

Why not use a Mewlon?

Kay Heem
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Can't forget your SkyWatcher 8" F5 Newtonian... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yes... I also think the spikes make the stars in the image look better, but it look odd if only got 2 spikes... 4 spikes make the stars look more balance... hee hee :P

May be you should use your 8" F5 Newtonian for imaging... I think you'll be able to frame the whole M45 in one image... That'll be very very nice. :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

Yes, I think the spikes are quite aesthetic and miss them! Two pieces of thread will give 4 spikes... Also I used to focus on these spikes - if I can get sharp spikes the focus is right.

The Newtonian has too much coma for the D300's large chip - there is some coma even in the C9.25 at f/6.3 but manageable.

TG
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

HI Tanquan,
Does your website have any bandwidth limitation?
Seems the link works when you first post it and then dies after that.

Nice shot of Pleiades! I noticed the shot is quite pixelated. Did you take it at very low mag and enlarged it on the pc? And hey! seems you captured an orange "planet" around an orange star near the bottom of your pic :lol:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets