Photos of White NightHawk

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
VinSnr
Administrator

Photos of White NightHawk

Post by VinSnr »

Did some test today, will write the review soon. Meanwhile here are some photos for your visual pleasure....

The above shows the scope with a Pentax 14mm XL, Barlow and diagonal. Pretty heavy load. But the focuser didn't slide down at all even at a 80 degree angle when we were viewing Jupiter later. Notice the bracket for the finder.

The above shows with the finder in place

Scope with the moon behind.

Ok, the above picture is to showcase our famous Singapore HDB Flats. See how poor thing we are. It's difficult for us to find a place that has no flats and no lights!

Picture above shows the Canon 10D attached to the scope rear. The 2"-1.25" adaptor has T-threads....how convenient! Again, even with teh weight, there is no need to lock down the focuser tube.

Lens.....notice the green coating and the baffles.

Too many brands living together. :lol:

The moon with canon 10D in prime-focus mode.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

this thread so many people see, no comments about the scope?

Next time don't want towaste time post photos liow. :evil:
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

People waiting for your review mah.. Do write up a storm dude! There's a nice poster to be won! Prehaps, you will like to do a review on a Megrez II or the much anticipated Megrez80 Apo (and sell it away the next day :lol: )?

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

VinSnr wrote:this thread so many people see, no comments about the scope?

Sorry, was too busy wiping the drool off my keyboard :D

BTW, I thought you had this scope before but sold it away? Did you buy back the same scope but in white?

Kay Heem
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

I think he said he is getting it, and someone had already reserved it. He will sell it to that person onces he test out the scope.... which is what he is doing now :).
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I was there when Vin Snr took out the scope for an intended test drive. Just too bad on that particular day, it was not only cloudy, but it was raining too ! So we just spent most of our time under the shelter, chatting away. But I think all 4 of us there agreed that it is really an impressive looking scope (especially with all it's solid & nicely machined Televue-style thread-on objective cover, oversized parts and glossy white finish) It comes complete with a very nice carrying case too ! Maybe some of those there that night may have noticed : I think I did subconciously reach out for the focuser knobs and twiddled it around every quarter of an hour or so :lol:

I find Stellarvue scopes very nice, but just too bad their APOs are priced in the same range as TeleVue's. Stellarvue itself isn't in the same league as TeleVue yet, but the TeleVue-like pricing for their range of APOs is mainly because they collaborated with TMB for their APO scopes. But if Vic Maris comes up with his very own 100% Stellarvue produced APO scope one day at purely Stellarvue prices, I may just get one for myself.

Oh, and it has to be white coloured like this one too :lol:
Samuel Ng
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

harlequin2902 wrote: But if Vic Maris comes up with his very own 100% Stellarvue produced APO scope one day at purely Stellarvue prices, I may just get one for myself.
Pure Stellarvue prices aren't that great. Their original 80mm F6 achro was the most expensive but the image quality was only that of a good quality achro. My old 80mm F6 GS achro was pretty good too, for a fraction of the price.

The newer Nighthawks are able to command a premium because of the build quality, as you have already noticed.

Kay Heem
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

For their older scopes, yes, I agree with you and wouldn't consider the prices of their original AT1010 series that great too - those were selling at US$499 when they were still hot in the US, I think (that's why I didn't end up with one myself :lol: ). When I mentioned "Stellarvue prices", I'm actually taking their current enhanced range as a guide - and "thanks" to the Orion 80 ED, Stellarvue was actually forced to price their better built Nighthawks at just US$399.

If they are able to get their hands on low cost APO objectives like Orion, maybe a Stellarvue 4" APO at US$799 or US$899 can be worth considering (for me), if they do come up with some one day.

Must be available in white too. :lol:
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

VinSnr wrote:this thread so many people see, no comments about the scope?

aiyah fren...
Must give people some time to digest lah...
Anyway, you know me, my heart only flutters for Maks and SCTs...
For refractor, I will activate my systems only if its a Tak FS60! :lol:

But back to your scope, it does not fairly compact. From the short focal length, I reckon it will not be very good for planetary use?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

But back to your scope, it does not fairly compact. From the short focal length, I reckon it will not be very good for planetary use?

rich
It will be quite compact when the dewshield is retracted (about 16"). Only thing is that this scope is heavy. The Orion 80mm ED, having used a 100mm f/6 tube at 24 inches weighs almost 2lbs lesser than this.

The scope performance actually surprised me. It takes magnification very well. At 184x, Jupiter managed to snapped into focus with clear contrasty bands. The purple fringing is quite obvious at that magnification but if you look at the planet itself, the surface is pretty sharp and contrasty. I didn't really want to exceed the 50x/inch rule on achromats, but this scope handles the magnification well. With a violet filter, this scope should give good views on planets at high magnification.

One thing about this scope is that it is very sharp. Deciding the focus point is easy..it just snapped into it. On that night I was testing this, the sky was pretty hazy and to make it worse, the moon was 3/4 up and sitting pretty close to Jupiter. So able to see sharp contrasty bands on Jupiter's surface at 184X is quite amazing. But I didn't just see bands. I also saw patterns within the bands.....and not just 2-3 straight lines. Ok..my eyes were trained to pick out these stuff, but the scope sharpness is quite incredible too. Shouldn't be a problem to do 200X on a good night. Just have to get over that purple frindge though.

By the time I finished on Jupiter, Orion Nebula happened to be just above a street light pole.....it was quite low at that time. Needless to say that part of the sky was very bright. But since I had the scope setup, might as well just take a peek at M42 also. I was quite surprised that it resolved the 4 trapezium stars under that kind of condition. I was using the 21mm Pentax XL with a 3X barlow. Some of the nebulasity can be seen, but most were washed away by the light. But resolving that 4 stars under hazy skies which is just above a light pole is quite amazing for a 80mm achromat.

On the moon, the CA is negligable. No purple fringe, just maybe a line of blue and red at its edges. Increasing the mag above 100 X will increase the CA more but still not bothersome. Moon details were still sharp at 103X (14mm Pentax XL with 3X barlow), no softness, nothing. Very good.

Optics-wise very little to fault this achromat. Very sharp with better than average colour abberation. Collimation was spot-on right out of the box. I used a fibre-optic light placed 300 feet away for my star test. Certainly easier than using a real star.

A nice scope for the money.

Just one more thing to add. The CA of the Pronto is definitely better than this scope. I have star tested Sam's scope and I know how much CA is present in his scope. I am not surprised though, considering it's a 70mm scope with the same focal length as this 80mm achromat. Furthermore the Pronto has an ED element, and that should cut the CA down further more.