Extreme Bright "Star" in the Singapore Nite Sky

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
repairaman

Extreme Bright "Star" in the Singapore Nite Sky

Post by repairaman »

Hey, I notice this ultra-bright thing that appear in the west sky, about 45degr up from horizon. It began to appear in the evening around 7pm and never seems to set.

I doubt it is Venus because my understanding of Venus is that, though it appear bright during evening or dawn, it would dim off into the night sky or disappear from the morning sky.

It seems stationary, and for past two months, seems to "sticking" to the same spot in the sky.

So anybody here can help enlighten me what the hell is that? Is it Venus or a man-made satellite (Earth Space Station?) ?? [smilie=confused.gif]
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

confirmed venus. extremely bright till it sets ard 1030pm. was semi consciously watching it from a playground in sambawang. from 9pm to ard 10.30pm.
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

check on it now. should have gone down the horizon already. was doing a little star gazing on the sambawang field earlier this evening.
yybmage

Post by yybmage »

Must be Venus!
Blast off!!!!!!!
pestbest

Post by pestbest »

How do you all know that it is venus?
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

pestbest wrote:How do you all know that it is venus?
From experience. Normally Venus is super bright, either on the east or west side and appear quite close to the horizon either before sunrise or sunset.

If you want to be super duper sure...check a planetarium software
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If it's look stationary at the west during evening (evening "star") or at the east during morning (morning "star"), it's Venus.

If it's moving quite fast, it's should be ISS (International Space Station)... which now overtake Venus as the brightest star like object in the night sky or the 2nd brightest object in the night sky after Moon.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: