Mersing Astro Expedition 28 July 11 to 31 July 11

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Here are the remaining astrophotos from this trip. Not as productive as the previous trip due to more intervention from clouds, but still acquired some good data nonetheless. :lol:

M33: FSQ85, Modified DSI III pro, 4x10 min R, 4x10 min G, 5x10 min B

M17: FSQ85, Modified DSI III Pro, 4x8 min L, 5x8 min R, 5x8 min G, 5x8 min B
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Mersing

Post by kochu »

Hi Kevin,

Your M33 looks great and classy.

Modified DSI III Pro looks really capable of going to great depths.

Kochu/3-8-11
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

but during the black out, the sky was even darker! and the sky was clear too!!!!!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Great pics once again Kelvin! Shows even the DSI III (with mod) is still a good fighter!

On a side note...see you saturday! Vroom Vroom!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Just curious: Is that diffraction spikes I see in the FSQ85?! :)
DON'T PANIC
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Great pics once again Kelvin! Shows even the DSI III (with mod) is still a good fighter!

On a side note...see you saturday! Vroom Vroom!
Thanks Tim! Oh yeah see you on race day...Vroom....vroom....
Just curious: Is that diffraction spikes I see in the FSQ85?!
Hi Kevin, yes those are diffraction spikes, an artifact from the spacers between lens elements of the front objective. Not detectable visually through an eyepiece, but will register with the camera on long exposures, especially on bright stars. :lol:
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

In-built de-fraction filter...comes as a package!...looks nice though...subtle yet perfect for stars!

@cat:
I'll be pit-lane/re-fuelling Fire Marshall. Oversee the re-fuel entry, incoming carts into pits and basically ordering anyone who doesn't follow the rules...HAHA!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

guys! nobody gave a report of this trip yet? lol
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

alright, here's a quick albeit more detailed report of the trip....

This was one of the first trips to Mersing this year that a small group of us decided upon a longer 4D3N expedition to take advantage of the (then) recent spate of good weather. However, few days prior to the day of the trip, we'd noticed that the weather was slightly unstable with the presence of pressure differences due to the impending typhoon near Japan. Nevertheless we went ahead with the trip on Thursday. The first night (Thursday) was generally fine, but compared to the previous trips, the night was mixed with high clouds and haze, with occasional bouts of clarity. For imaging, most of us gotten data that yielded bloated stars (from the haze), but still the transparency was generally ok throughout the night. Kelvin brought his new Mach1GTO mount along for the first time, and managed to work through the nitty-gritties of its mechanism and managed to track and autoguide it very well. All of us also thought that night it was particularly windy, sometimes there would be warm winds coming in. It was similar for Friday and Saturday nights as well, with regular bouts of haze and high clouds. Only at brief moments, we could see the Dark Horse of the Milky Way near Scorpius together with the entire stretch from Centaurus to Cepheus. On the last night (Saturday), it was quite eventful, as we encountered a black-out! It lasted nearly 2 hours, and what was "amazing" it was a regional black-out, where the blackness extended beyond the chalet grounds. For the first time in a long time, and at that possibly "right" time, the sky was very clear, and it reminded us how the skies there were that pristine if there were almost no light pollution! Wow!

Besides astronomy, during the day, we spent sometime eating (lots!), eating durians (twice!), and more. We were exploring on the other side of Tanjung Resang, noticing the splendid scenery over there, and a fisherman in particularly hauling up a net of several live lobsters! We also drove up further north to the town of Endau, savouring one of the better bakuteh dishes and a choice pick of some durians! It was also quite an eventful trip when we had a tyre puncture after coming back from Mersing town during one of the lunches. We all chipped in to change the tyre, did another round trip to Mersing to source for a proper one, and then back to the chalet, with some of us doing the late afternoon jog and swims.

I have uploaded some images of the trip over at my website here.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Professional version processed by Remus!

SWEEETTTTTTT

http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!